The week before Britt got here, was pretty rough, as we didn't know if he would actually be able to leave Japan as planned. After looking forward to the day that Britt would transfer from Japan and be on his way to be with me here in Norfolk was one that we had both been looking forward to for so long. Then, within a week of Britt's transfer date, Japan was hit with a 8.9 earthquake and a devastating tsunami. Mother nature trumped us and we were forced to potentially wait on her. It was an especially rough week, as up until the end, it didn't look like Britt was going to be able to leave as planned and that he would be providing humanitarian assistance to a devastated and radiation ridden country.
A week prior to Britt's scheduled transfer date, he had a scheduled underway period, which at this point, is routine for us. However, with the events of mother nature just a few days before, you can imagine how things changed quickly. What isn't routine is the phone call you get an hour after you say "good-bye for now," a "good-bye for now" that was only supposed to last three days. On the other end is Britt, not wanting to, but having to tell me "baby, we may be tasked with a new mission during this underway period." What that translates to on the other end of the phone is "I won't be home as planned, and I don't know when I will be." Not something a girl wants to hear, as she is looking forward to greet her man at the airport gates in only a matter of days. With emotions ragging, I say "be safe, I love you and come home to me as quickly as possible." Now, there were a few more words spoken, as I looked for answers that Britt just didn't have. I learned a few things in that moment: 1) Just because I'm a Chief in the Navy doesn't make it any easier to hear this news on the other end of the phone, and 2) it was my job to be supportive and ensure that Britt knew he had loving arms to come home to. That was the hardest thing that I've had to do. As my mind raced for a few days, and as I prayed harder than I can remember ever praying, I was reminded of not only my own faith, but the faith I have in our military; we never blindly send our own into harms way and never act without a tested and tried plan of action.
A few days later my prayers were answered, and Britt was safe back in Yokosuka and on a plane back to the States while our shipmates continued their mission, and still continue their mission today. It is difficult for a Sailor to leave "the mission," but there is one thing I know for sure: everything happens for a reason, and the Lord places us where we need to be, when we need to be there.
So, the plans now start for our own mission......our future together.

No comments:
Post a Comment